Attendance is the key to academic success. This is directly connected to Value #1, academic excellence is the means to a full life. The goal is for every student to have no more than five full day absences.
Why is it the goal for each student to have no more than 5 full day absences during a school year?
Every school day matters so that they receive the instruction necessary for each student to learn and excel academically, and to build healthy habits for life. Even missing over 5 school days puts you at risk for chronic absenteeism.
Chronic absenteeism includes excused and unexcused absences and it has been linked to high school dropout rates. Whereas, emerging data suggests that good attendance predicts college graduation. Learn more at attendanceworks.org.
What to do when your child is absent?
1) Excuse the absence
2) Make sure your child makes up the work missed when absent.
To excuse the absence, you may contact the school directly (see numbers below), reply to the daily absence notifications sent via Parentsquare (only at UPVHS, CCVHS, DVS) or submit an absence notice by clicking the button below.
University Prep Value High School 213-382-1223
Central City Value High School 213-471-4686
Everest Value School 213-487-7745
Downtown Value School 213-748-8868
What types of absences are excused?
Per the California Educational Code Section 48205, a pupil shall be excused from school the absence is due to
· His or her illness
· His or her medical, dental, optometrical or chiropractic appointments
· Attending funeral services for immediate family (one day if the service is conducted in California, three days if the service is conducted outside California)
· Jury duty
· Illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child whom the pupil is the custodial parent
· Attendance at religious retreats (up to 4 hours per semester)
· Appearance in court
· Observance of a holiday or ceremony of the pupil’s religion
· Please find the full list of excusable absences here.
What if my child cannot login to class due to technology issues?
Value Schools is here to help. Please visit the technology resources page to fill out a tech ticket or contact the school direct at the numbers listed above.